Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Roasted in Starfire

Yesterday's sunburn was no joke. I was working so I didn't dare scramble for safety. Nor did I realize how burnt I was getting. I thank God and my mother for the straw hat that saved my face and scalp.

The previous day I'd tried sunscreen one last time. I said, maybe if I keep it below my eyes it will not end up in my eyes. I was driving blind when it did somehow end up in my eyes. I pulled into a gas station and washed it off. Sice they didn't have soap, I used dish liquid.

Now I really think that if you get enough exposure to roast the skin that's directly exposed, it's not too good for the rest of your skin either. You know, UVB rays get the direct-exposed areas and (I hate to say it but) doesn't UVA get the rest? I've had enough sun-exposure trouble in my life and I hope I didn't just bring on more.

At the supermarket I saw that most all the other white folks were roasted pretty good too. There's no fool like us old fools. Doesn't April bring the summer sunshine every year?

No comments: