Monday, July 21, 2008

The Way I Remember Arabee

Regardless of what James Joyce actually wrote, this is how I remember "Arabee" from the high school English class: The girl gets stood up. The girl gets stood up because the boy figures out that she's not going to put out.

I felt like that was happening to me right and left. I felt like people didn't really like me for myself; they were just interested in what they could get from me. When I got stood up today I fumed a little, thinking it was more of the same. But just now I got a phone call saying that my friend had fallen asleep and that he would come over just as soon as he could get here, in a few minutes.

I still think that "Arabee" is a stupid story and that a lot of the people I took for friends were more selfish than I had supposed. But it's nice to know that company is coming after all.

No comments: