Saturday, July 26, 2008

brain dump

My father had an accident that resulted in a concussion. The resulting palsy is expected to last for three weeks, during which he must try not to submit to a work-related physical examination. It was not a work-related accident (nor was it related to traffic or heavy equipment,) and his previous physical is technically still current, having been less than two years ago, so he should be fine in that regard. Even so, it is contributing to a stressful situation for my family that nobody can do anything about at the present time.

All I can do about it is stress and feel helpless or think about something else.

Meanwhile, my sister is being harassed by my neighbors. If you recall, she is house sitting for me. She blames me for the behavior of neighbors who cut through the property, get into her car, knock on the door and behave unpleasantly, and break and enter the house!

This is apparently what happens when a person (such as my sister in her present condition) is devoid of all social status. I deplore the whole idea of social status, but I'm forced to observe it at times, by way of protecting myself. For example, I feel the need to make it clear that I own the house. This imbues me with status, which is an important tool for getting idiots to respect me. (One never wants idiots to disrespect him or her!!!) By contrast, home ownership does not affect my own self-image, because it's only a superficial matter of material wealth, which can never make someone any more or less of a person. Case in point: John the Baptist. Another: Jesus Christ. In fact, I would go so far as to say that material wealth by itself doesn't reflect on an individual in any way. Only vice, virtue and personality -- words, thoughts and deeds, reflect on the individual.


About an hour ago I got an annoying phone call from a friend. He wanted to talk and not listen. Every time I tried to respond constructively to his suggestions he cut me off!


I need to remember to get some Holy Basil (herbal stress remedy.) Maybe then I won't be so uptight.


Today I've been working on (editing) John's manuscript. (Yes, I have part time work! God be thanked!) My excuse for doing this on the sabbath is that my sister is in need and that, rather than allowing John to pay me for today's work, I will ask instead that he send the money to her. The manuscript itself is stimulating material; some of the ideas that he addresses merit their own post. This is a guy who lacks the historic perspective of someone who has been in the United States for a very long time. He doesn't know our language very well, nor our vernacular. He hasn't witnessed the evolution of American English Vernacular. He goes on for a very long time expressing what in our language should be a very brief passage. I told him that one of the particular virtues of English is its tendency to evolve and embrace new concepts, something that had seemed to annoy him.


My aunt also had an accident that resulted in a concussion. Get well soon, everyone! And me? I've just got to get past the stress.


P.S. Friends, if I have your url, I have added your blog to my blog list at the bottom of the page. This will help me to keep abreast of everyone's blogs. If you don't see yours, please send the url. Thanks.

No comments: