Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Pursuant to Previous Post

As often happens when I do my phone chores, I'm on hold. This gives me the chance to correct some things I said half an hour ago (see last post.)

First and foremost, God be praised. God gets the glory for everything good about my health, because He made my body and He made the food and He authors everything. "My" diet is vindicated, but originally and ultimately and through it all, it is God's doing. God be thanked and praised.

Also, the people who get the credit for helping me wake up today are: Anwar, my father, Russ and, most of all, God.

Yeah, I know I have a problem with my circadian rythm. I've had it all my life. But it can be treated, corrected, worked with and worked around. I fight it the way people fight alcoholism. I realized how ingrained it was 24 years ago when I took my temperature every hour to discern my native sleep schedule. I don't remember exactly what it was, but it was way out of wack -- "inverted," said the PHD who arranged the test.

Finally, regarding what I said about kids and jobs -- My opinion is just my opinion. Everyone has valid opinions about kids because everyone has been one, and everyone knows someone who has been one. My opinions are based on my own experience and on secondhand experience, particularly on anecdotes from people who worked at a young age and grew up to be so work-oriented that leisure held little appeal for them. The business about making sure your kid has the right reasons for wanting to work at an early age came from a magazine -- don't remember which. The author of said article opined that getting a job "because it's fun" or "because my friend does it" is not a decision based on a good enough reason. Frankly, I disagree. But you'd know a truly bad reason if it came from your own kid.

No comments: