Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Humming Bird Likes Me

Wow. Lots of things I want to write about seem to fly right past me. But this one hovered in my face and demanded to be noticed.

A couple of hours ago I sat on the veranda, probably smelling of the grapes I had eaten, and holding/sipping an aromatic mug of honeyed yerba mate. A humming bird hovered about two feet from my face and looked at me inquisitively. I think he wanted some of the goodies. For what seemed like two or three seconds I was so intent on not startling the creature that I didn't study him as much as I might have. Then he flew off.

Then just now I looked out the window and saw the bird foraging in the garden below. I whistled at him in such a way as he could probably tell he was being whistled *at* because of the way sound waves ripple out from a center. "Hey, buddy!" I called. And he came back to me, just a yard away, for a split second before he flew away.

I've got to tell my gardening neighbors that the bird wants honeyed yerba mate. I hope it's good for him. (I'll research it first.) Then if they put the stuff out for him, the bird will know I got the message!

No comments: