Monday, May 24, 2010

Another Chat with My Russian Friend

me: I'm back. I missed you.

5 minutes
11:31 PM Mel: Hey! How have you been?
11:35 PM me: I feel strange. I wrote something... I don't know how I feel about what I wrote. I spent the weekend traveling with a friend, and I thought he was selfish and mean. Well, maybe I was expecting too much in terms of altruism...
  but...
  I do insist that people treat me respectfully. I don't want people shouting at me or telling me what to do or putting me down.
11:36 PM Mel: Why did he shoutat you?
 me: So I wrote this letter. He probably lost patience...
11:37 PM In one instance I wanted to walk 1/3 mile down the hill to get ginger ale or coke to fix my stomach. I said I'd be back...
11:38 PM He said I should wait for him by the car instead because it was too far to walk. Well, aside from the stomach ache I was healthy as a horse, so I didn't think it was far to walk at all. Besides, the car was a lonely place to be and it was locked up. So I told him...
  I told him that, if he wasn't at the car, I'd come back up the hill to watch the races with him, and he shouted, "Don't!" in a very demanding, commanding tone of voice...
  I'll never know exactly where he was coming from.
11:39 PM So when I got to the car and he wasn't there I took a little walk...
 Mel: Hmm... That's strange.
  Perhaps he was in a bad mood.
 me: And when he never came back I went back to the races and he acted strangely normal
  I said, "You didn't want me to see this?"
 Mel: What races are these?
11:40 PM me: He said, "I didn't think you were interested." So that's the only explanation I got.
  Car races.
 Mel: Very strange.
 me: Sometimes he shouted at me to get going because I was tarrying too long.
11:41 PM And he made me wake up long before I wanted to at camp. It's like he wasn't even looking for a way to accommodate me. He didn't take an apologetic tone. He just told me to get up and held firm, which I thought was rude.
  Do you want to see what I wrote to him?
  It
11:42 PM It's at icantcomplain2.blogspot.com
  I feel bad about it because I mentioned an episode from 10 years ago that he confided in me... I thought it would make him realize that I had a leg to stand on in complaining about his manners but...
  I think it mainly just hurt his feelings, so now I feel pretty sad.
11:44 PM Mel: That's a larger letter. I'll have a look at it later today. I now have to proofread a quite chunky technical text.
  I'm sorry you had such a bad weekend.
 me: Thanks.
 Mel: Maybe he'll understand his fault and will make it up to you later?
 me: When might we discuss a new format for [shop talk omitted here]? I was thinking...
11:45 PM Oh, maybe, I don't know... I'm thinking probably not. He thinks I'm overly sensitive.
 Mel: You can write a brief of what you are thinking about them, what we can change and then we can discuss it.
11:46 PM me: I was thinking the new format is a challenge because we would [shop talk omitted from here on out.]

No comments: