Saturday, March 6, 2010

In Pursuit of Math Scholarship

It's a long road, I know. And with everything else going on, I don't know that I'll ever get there. But I thought I'd share the following, not by way of saying, "Hey, everybody, I want to major in math education;" but rather because I come at it from an interesting angle. You see, many people assume that they want to learn from someone who never had any fear of a subject and has always performed in accordance with their ability. Personally? I'd much rather learn from the teacher who discovered his or her gift by taking arms against his fears, because that is the person who can help me to overcome my own fears. In pursuit of this scholarship, I wrote the following:

I hope somebody is funding mathematical studies for students who have worked around and overcome their own math phobias. These will make the very best math teachers. In order to find out my own gift for problem solving, I had to bite nails and procrastinate until my homework was late. I had to re-invent the wheel while taking tests. That is something of a gift, truly. But you don't have time for that while taking a test. If school systems want the very best math teachers -- people who will help students overcome their fears and find their creativity -- they will find and fund people like me.

No comments: