Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Dumping More Brains on the Page

One of the e-newsletters I subscribe to went bonkers, sending us a screwed-up pitch for some other newsletter. I started writing this response to them, but I probably won't get a chance to finish it or send it in:


Dear [Newsletter,]

Please watch what you post! Ad copy such as that distributed on [date] with its logical fallacies and half-truths are an insult to the critical reader and a deception to anyone else who might be reading your letter. I refuse to be part of an organization that is willing to print trash just for the money. (Did you even read it??) Please "opt me out" now.



Sending this in would be the right thing to do, but I probably won't have time. Just going back to my inbox and figuring out who to send this to would take a couple of minutes that I'd rather spend writing in my blog, which is something I don't get to do enough as is.

Besides being fallacious, the advertisement concerns a very silly topic. They're trying to tell us that fiat currency is a ripoff and that eventually people will abandon it, with disastrous results. In reality, the disastrous results would start small the minute any one person decided to abandon the currency. You know what I mean? He'd be like, "This paper money is worthless. I won't buy groceries with it." And a minute later he'd be like, "Gee, I'm hungry. As much as I'd like to destroy the world economy, I think that will have to wait until after I've eaten as much as I care to in this life!"



I should remember to research the use of rototillers with cob. They say you should dance in cob to mix it up, but I'm really not willing to do that. I'd like to spend my energy more judiciously.



I have a friend in Pennsylvania... who's a rocker and a lawyer, and I'd love to pick his brain about fundraising. And then I should pick a banker's brain about escrow and accounting.



What I crave right now is... beans! I want beans, potatoes and broccoli. Yes, I did take my vitamins, and about 1800 nutritious calories besides. I had spaghetti, green beans, onions, oatmeal, chicken and chicken sausage, cheerios, cinnamon, nuts, apples, banana, whole wheat crackers and diet shakes. God has blessed me with most of the weight loss I sought -- only a few more pounds to go.



Working my to-do list at my mother's house is difficult. She dominates the environment and my time, invariably steering me into activities that I hadn't considered. Worse, my concentration is frequently challenged by the way she carries on. If you've seen my house you'll know I can't provide a better work environment than my mother can. But that's not the point. The point is, she can. All she would have to do is (1) write down the things she wants to talk about and ask what time I'm free to address the list with her (as opposed to piping up twice an hour;) and (2)suggest alternate activities in advance and in moderation.



I have a friend in Pennsylvania who is a builder. I don't think he reads my blog, but he does send me forwarded messages. Sometimes I look at one or another of them. I saw one title go by recently, something like "Orangutan and Dog." And I got to thinking what great mechanics Orangutans are rumored to be, and how they might make the ultimate "grease monkeys!" (No, I didn't read the message.)

No comments: