Saturday, April 24, 2010

Brain Dump

Oh, man. Another cold day in April. April and May can be a real drag this way. You want it to be warm. You're expecting it to be warm any time. But the warm days could end up being few and far between. A girl in my grammar school class pointed that out back in the day. Another thing that sucks about spring is afternoons that are briefly warm or almost warm, followed by cold evenings, nights and mornings, so that you get four hours of nice weather and 20 hours of chill.

I made a huge to-do list and ... suffice it to say I have a lot to do today. I do mind the Sabbath, but healing is lawful on the sabbath, and healing is what I'm doing. My mother is healed when I clean the house and such. She's rather frantic when I don't.

A craving for potatoes has set in. Am I experiencing a mineral shortfall of some kind?

If you're reading this you're probably wondering where the good stuff is. There are some nuggets in every blog, and mine is no exception. Today I'm going through and adding the keyword "nugget" to everything I think might interest strangers in "I Can't Complain." Well, OK, maybe not today. Today is busy enough as is...

I want to bake some fish and potatoes, clean the stove top, finish mopping, vacuum, empty the dishwasher (an under-used dishwasher-- we do a lot of dishes by hand around here;)put on some laundry, get medicine from Target, round up some supplies, put out the compost and take down my phone messages.

Fruit, nuts and cereal for brunch was probably not the best idea. I wish I had had more protein.

Last night I stayed awake until 4:00, stuck in that strange dynamic where I'm trying to wind down while also trying to steel myself up for various nighttime chores, while somehow the list of chores keeps getting longer.

Now I crave potatoes and cottage cheese. I guess this really is a mineral thing.

I have a friend who wants me to come back to Pennsylvania to visit, another who wants me to come back to Seattle to visit, and one who wants me to accompany him to Greece for a couple of weeks next year or whenever it works out. The Greece thing will have to wait until I have the money to support myself abroad for two weeks. The person who invited me is not the type I would want to have in charge of all my needs for two weeks (although that is what he offered.) I know from hanging out with him that if I get thirsty or cold, he doesn't always want to help out. That's something I can deal with if I'm close enough to home turf or if I have a few bucks in my pocket. A weekend at the beach would be worth hazarding. But half a month abroad is out of the question until I can stand on my own two feet.

The Pennsylvania thing is always doable. I go home to Pennsylvania every other week, so why not stop by and hang out with a good buddy?

It is Anwar who wants me to go to Seattle. Right now I can't see leaving my family with all my problems while I take off for a holiday. But eventually it would be nice to go back, hang out, meet his wife and child.

No comments: