Friday, May 29, 2009

Pursuant to Previous Post

I almost carved it up and changed it. It could possibly give a careless reader the wrong impression. When I talk about taking rest when I needed it in my distant past, I'm not being entirely accurate. I didn't always take the rest, because sometimes the work was too urgent, immediate, important and/or overwhelming. Also, I'm not talking about stuff that's completely derelict. I never hid in my cubicle and took a nap on the clock, (except in one situation a long time ago when I got all the work done and had nothing to do but monitor a phone that refused to ring, which I could do very well in a half-sleep doze. The phone, the work, the clients, my employer -- everyone was taken care of, so I did totally get away with that, God be thanked. And I would never do that again, because anyone who walked into my office could have misinterpreted the facts and deemed the phone to be unmonitored, when in truth I would wake like Lazarus if it rang.) In general, what I'm talking about are things like blowing off personal opportunites to get a leg up on some goal of mine, times when I took a nap in the library or my own room or apartment, and times when I couldn't stay awake in class no matter how hard I bit my tongue or slapped my cheek -- things like that.

Also, with regard to closing my blog -- this is a distinct possibility. I would like to work toward bringing it to a natural close. It may take a while -- months or even a couple of years -- but my goal now is to include everything that belongs in this blog so that I will be ready to close it if I decide to do so. Towards that end, I will be asking the Blogspot people if I can leave a ghost blog. I wouldn't want them to erase I Can't Complain just because it's no longer being written. I want people to discover it in the future -- maybe in the 23rd century or something. I don't have illusions of it being really popular ever, but if a few people in successive generations find something in it to enjoy, that's about all I can ask.

No comments: