Saturday, May 2, 2009

diet bore digest

I just babysat for 18 hours, which entailed making 2 meals in my sister's awful kitchen. It's the kind of kitchen that promulgates its own mess, and it's all anyone can do to avoid being part of the problem if he touches it. Does everyone know what I mean? 'Cuz my mom didn't know what I meant and that bugs me. If stuff is sitting in the sink, it's hard to use the sink. If stuff is on the stove and there's no room for it in the sink it makes it harder to use the stove. If stuff is on the counters that factors in too. Analogous situations abound. It becomes a clogged matrix that tends to get worse with every iteration. The mold by the sink shreds my nerves and makes everything more prohibitive than it already is. I tried to leave it better than I found it, but after two meals I don't think I managed that. I left just a few more dirty dishes and a considerably cleaner receptacle for clean ones. I'd like to add that the galley-style kitchen is way too small to navigate with ease, and that it's often crowded with animals, because their feeding stations are in it.

Mostly, the kids don't cook. But ten-year-old Carly likes to help make french toast. I wanted to ask them all for more help but I felt like it would be a cop out.

As long as I'm on the subject of food at my sister's house, Sis assures me that her kids' diet is better than I had supposed the day I saw the frozen french fries there which I'm sure had the wrong kind of oil in them. I believe she is right. But I also think the kids' diet could be improved yet. After all, she has one pot. It must be a prohibitive challenge to make a balanced meal without more equipment than that.

------------------------------

I got yanked away from the computer at that point, forgetting what I ultimately wanted to say. For now, that's life.

By the way, I did double-check those french fries and they have no hydrogenated oil. So at least there's that.

You can't be too careful, though. My mother gave me pie with whipped cream, and the "cream" turned out to be fake and heavy with hydrogenated oil. She probably had no idea. I really have to keep on my toes here.

No comments: