Monday, February 23, 2009

I'm Not Trying to Replace Anwar

I wrote this letter to Nicola. It should explain a lot, I hope.


Dear Nicola,

I'd like to reply to the part of your letter about freeing someone to
"find someone else." Because lately I've been acting like that's a
good idea, but there are caveats and a back-story...

Two and a half years ago I sensed that part of your intention was that
I be encouraged to find someone else. I never had liked that idea
because I always liked people just for who they were and not for the
idea of some niche they could fill in my life. I didn't feel like it
was particularly important for me to be involved with someone,
although I welcomed it in the unlikely event that someone I liked (one
of my "muses") chanced to like me back.

So what changed? Well, as it happened, Anwar approached me and I
surprised myself by liking him back. He wasn't replacing anybody,
just being his charming self. And now he's been gone a mere 3 months
and I'm already trying to meet people. Anyone would think I had a
hard, callous heart to do such a thing immediately after a breakup
like that. But I want people to understand. I'm not callous. I'm
not trying to replace Anwar or anybody else ...

It's just that I hit an unlikely number by finding mutual affection;
and I thought that, if there was a possibility of hitting it again,
it'd be silly not to take a few shots at it while I'm still kicking.
That way, if I hit it, great. If I don't luck out, it's not because I
didn't leave the door ajar. That's all I'm doing, really -- leaving
the door ajar.

However, this is reality, not Tennessee Williams. so it's not like I
or anyone else has missed out on life by not finding a partner. I
don't know if I've told you anything new here. I never know how you
take these things. Maybe you think I have my head up my butt. If I
do, it won't stay there for long. There's too much going on out
there. I'm taking the liberty of posting this letter on my blog, if
you don't mind.


Sincerely,
Kitty Lane

No comments: