Friday, August 15, 2008

Getting My Head Together

Heat sick two days in a row! I didn't even know I was susceptible. I realize now that I must have experienced this in years past without associating it with heat exposure. All it took was a jaunt to the store in midday heat to make me ill. Well, the coffee and herbs might also have contributed.

What bothers me most about this malady is feeling like I want to be productive and not having the full use of my brain. It's like my brain is afraid it'll overheat if it does anything.

Now that night has fallen I should be OK, and blogging is an ideal way to get my mind working again.



Tourist season is flying by. Right now I have a work assignment, but if I didn't I'd be out there busking the docks with my guitar, or at least preparing my act. I hope I get a chance to do this. Here is my first take on a song list*:

Aubrey (Bread)
Hold Me Tight (The Beatles)
Stairway to Heaven (Zeplin)
You've Got Your Troubles (Jay and the Americans?)
Mamma Mia (Abba)
I Can't Get Started (Bunny Berrigan)
Roses... in Picotee (old standard)
Horse with No Name (America)
Baby Ima Want You (Bread)
I Think I Love You (The Partridge Family)
[some stuff by the Ramones that I'm not real familiar with yet]
Rose Garden (Lynn Anderson)
Killing Me Softly (Roberta Flack)
[some stuff by Melanie that I know by heart]
Mystifyingly Glad/ ... Dyingly Sad (artist unknown)
Gimme Some Kind Of Sign (artist unknown)

... I never did finish that list. Obviously it needs massaging and a call to ASCAP.

Nor have I been out busking yet, mostly because I've been unnecessarily occupied. Working with a client who doesn't speak much English is an invitation to errors that waste time. Worse, this particular client either doesn't have a good understanding of opportunity cost or doesn't figure me for someone who has anything important to do besides the business we have together. It could be a misread on him, but for now I'm going with my intuition. Tentatively. It's not like you can discuss every little disgruntlement through a language barrier. Some things you gotta just vent and let go. Right? Anyway, my intuition is pretty well supported by things he has said that really don't bear repeating here.

No comments: