Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Mike

A man in the grocery store was talking to the clerk about Michael Jackson, saying that, for those of us who had grown up with him, Michael was a part of us. "He is a part of us." I chimed in. And there it is -- a retrospective on Jackson is by nature a personal one, unique to each fan. Music and entertainment happen at the intersection of stimulus and perception. When I was a child I must have realized this, because I fancied (incorrectly) that for this reason music must make no sense to animals.

When the Jacksons' debut album was blossoming (all year, wasn't it? throughout 1970) on the radio my mother told me who was singing -- "Michael, the youngest of the Jackson 5." I imagined that sweet voice belonged to a much younger child than eleven-year-old Michael. I had two infant sisters at the time. By Autumn, eighteen-month-old Angie could do Michael's voice amazingly well. Angie grew up to be a professional singer. I just told her yesterday at an audition that the first time I knew she had talent was when she was a baby and she did MJ.

And then there was Ben. My mother promoted the song to me, as something she didn't want me to miss. She bought the single so I could give it to my cousin Katie for her birthday. Katie also got a shetland pony named Ben, and we all rode Ben until I got too big for him and the others quickly followed suit. I think Mom also bought a copy of the single for me to keep, but if so I don't know where it is. Finally one day I saw the movie, which I scarcely remember.

I don't have any particularly good memories associated with "Off the Wall," although I kinda enjoyed it and, looking back, I appreciate it as very good music.

But I was thrilled with "Thriller." I think I have two copies of the LP, one of which should still be in my Pennsylvania house somewhere. If I were on a shorter leash, I might go up right now to the Goucher College campus, where I studied computer programming back in the day, to remember "Thriller" in full bloom with "Human Nature" grabbing all the airplay. The song had a relaxed sense of wonder about it. I know that sounds funny, but if you've heard the song maybe you can relate.

And if I had more time, I'd probably have more to say. Like -- oh, here's one. I had thought at one time that Michael was cleverly named after an angel because he had Klinefelter Syndrome -- which in fact he did not have. He fathered three kids naturally, so there's no way he has Klinefelter. I thought he was a K man because of his high, gentle voice, slight frame, and effeminate dimeanor. I hope Mike wouldn't mind my having thought so!

When I was working at the factory with the jail birds (and others,) a girl who was the daughter of the most infamous malefactor there -- a serial killer -- asked me how old I was and when I told her she said, "Ooh! Did you like Michael Jackson?!" And we shared a smile. Of course I did. I love Michael.

No comments: